Cosmeceutical term created in 1990s from cosm(etic) + (pharma)ceutic
- It’s a cosmetic product claimed to have medicinal
or drug-like benefits.
- Examples: Anti-aging creams, serums,
- These are marketed as cosmetics, but contain
biologically active ingredients.
- Majority of cosmeceutical products are not subjected
to review and approval process
- Fastest growing segment of Cosmetics & Personal Care.
Need for Cosmeceutical
Products work at cellular level and treat imperfections
Avoid harsh chemicals associated with cosmetic products
Effectively counter the effect of changing environmental conditions
Single product can be used for multiple purposes
Cost effective alternate to cosmetic surgery
Ability to resolve the cause rather than covering
Cosmeceutical in Cosmetics